The Robinson Institute is a village hall located in the small village of Glaisdale in the North York Moors National Park, near the town of Whitby in North Yorkshire, England.
The building was originally constructed in 1911 as a school and community centre, and was named after a local farmer who had bequeathed funds for its construction. The Robinson Institute was designed to be a hub for community activities and events, and over the years it has hosted a wide range of social and cultural activities, including dances, concerts, theatrical performances, and educational classes.
During World War II, the Robinson Institute was used as a distribution centre for ration books and other essential supplies, and local residents also used the building as a makeshift air raid shelter during bombing raids.
In the years following the war, the Robinson Institute continued to be an important gathering place for the local community, hosting events and activities ranging from amateur dramatics to art exhibitions.
In 2004-2005, the Robinson Institute underwent a major renovation and refurbishment, thanks to a grant from the National Lottery. The building was updated with modern amenities while still retaining its historic charm and character, and today it continues to be a vital community resource for the people of Glaisdale and the surrounding area.
The Institute is now used by many groups/ organisations such as, Playgroup, Ballet Classes, Aerobics classes, Esk Valley Theatre, Glaisdale Parish Council, Women’s Institute, Patchwork classes, Glaisdale Pantomime, Dales Folk, Bradbury Centre (Computer classes/ Techno Gym/Felt Flower classes).